Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Ok....I have decided to post something since I am really pissed off. My Aunt Patsy messaged me earlier on Facebook and asked me if I had joined the OneMatch Facebook group that my cousin Claudia developed to help her brother Robin. Robin has a rare form of Leukemia and unfortunately no one in his family is a match for a bone marrow transplant. Currently they are looking for donors and the group page said that the clinic is based in Halifax. That is very convenient since I happen to live here! Unfortunately I am not allowed to donate because I am gay. Now I don't know Robin from a whole in the wall and I don't know Claudia that well either. But to marry into the Parker family you have to be pretty special and come from a pretty special family. I met alot of Claudia's family at her and Brent's wedding this summer and nothing would make me happier then walking down to the Red Cross tomorrow and getting checked to see if I am a match. Unfortunately after they ask me a few questions and I answer honestly, they are going to shoo me out the door....even if by slim chance I am a match to Robin, or for that matter 500 other people who need a donor. Now don't get me wrong, I understand where these people are coming from. The HIV/AIDS epidemic is rampant among homosexuals because of unprotected promiscuous sex everyone seems to be having and I don't blame the medical community for being cautious. But what about the heterosexual sluts and manwhores out there having unprotected sex with anything that has two legs? Are they not more of a risk then myself who has been in a monogamous relationship for over a year now? There is not one question on the form that asks that type of question regarding heterosexuals and their sexual practises. The rules need to change. I feel a deep need to help people when I can and in any way that I can. The fact that I can't do this for my family upsets me and I am seriously contemplating walking down to the clinic tomorrow and lying. What would be worse....them finding out after the fact that I was lying to save someone's life, or someone dying because I didn't? Regardless of whether or not I could save someone's life, even Robin's, I won't lie and pretend to be something I am not....I guess the best I can do is to post this blog and help to get as many people as I can to get checked! DONATE NOW!!!!! www.onematch.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment